Some Inspiration from Benard


Caribou,

It is hard for me to wrap my head around the thought that my experience in Tanzania is coming to an end. My time in Arusha, at LOAMO School was short but still opened me up to the culture and lifestyle in Tanzania. Teaching is no easy task, and our team conquered this throughout the trip. Not only are the kids in Tanzania amazing but the kids I have been lucky to travel with and work with are too. Being surrounded by greatness and those who are better than you is the best way to learn and develop. I am truly grateful to have been able to bond and work with my new friends.

Friday was my last day at school and with my class. The class I worked with was too young to partake in the departure party on Saturday. So I said my goodbyes with them on Friday. My students were in second grade and while they were young they were very intelligent and determined. It is inspiring how hard these kids work and the kids in higher grades work even harder. At home in Colorado and all of the United States opportunities can arise without having an education which is why I believe that education is not as valued, however in Tanzania opportunities only arise after education. The kids know that, as do the parents, and therefore everyone works hard in hopes to a better life. On my last home visit, I was welcomed into the house of Liz. Liz is the grandma of two students David and Joshua at LOAMO School. Liz attended form 4 which is equivalent to graduating high school and earned a job as a secretary. She was able to buy a house with electricity, a stove, bathroom, and shower, normally things that are luxuries. While she is living in poverty, her situation is way better than many people here.  The fact that Liz had a well-paying job paved the way for her children who have all attended form 6 which are 2 extra years of high school or university. They now all have well-paying jobs as farmers and accountants and are able to support their families enough to afford food, shelter, and an education. Education really does have an impact.

On this trip I have been introduced to many very inspiring people, and this boy Benard is one of the most inspirational humans on the planet. Benard has an incredible story. He was born in the Chaga tribe in Kilimanjaro. There he grew up and like any boy in these Tanzanian tribes; he started to learn about the ways of his people as well as the man’s job, herding the livestock. At the age of 10 Benard moved to Arusha, as a family who saw him herding cows offered to pay for his school if he would come work for them. Benard took the opportunity and his parents were willing to let him go, but they only knew he was going to Arusha to work not to pursue an education as well. Benard started attending LOAMO School speaking very little English. He did not pass a test to enter grade 5 with peers his age. He instead went into grade three which was two years younger but they had been learning English for three years already… Benard has a ways to catch up. To be able to attend school Benard had to work for this family, before school her would milk cows, feed cows and clean the house. If he did not finish his these tasks he would be punished with beatings from a stick. After school he would have the same chores, and on the weekends or breaks from school he would herd the cows along with the other chores. This may seem like a fair trade off, but the family had a sponsorship and was sending Benard to school for free. Benard’s living conditions were terrible and he was treated poorly. He was a slave of the family. Benard had no idea he was going to school for free and was working hard every day so he would not lose the opportunity of an education. Lisa Marie the founder of Children’s Global Alliance encountered Benard’s situation when she went on a home visit and fortunately saved Benard. Benard had been working for this family for two years before Lisa Marie helped. Benard has now worked his way up to form 3 and plans on attending university in hopes of becoming the president of Tanzania. These experiences, terrible as it is, have formed an exceptional man, who is on his path towards greatness.  I have been very fortunate to spend time with him. With Benard’s determination and ambitions I have no doubt he will achieve more than what he hopes.

Saturday Night was the last time I saw the kids, we had a departure party and a fun dance to celebrate all the hard work everyone has put in. I have realized I need to work my dancing skills after I saw all the kids showing me up. It was very sad to see them wave goodbye through the windows of the school bus. I have convinced myself I didn’t cry when they left because I will see them again… it’s not an official goodbye. These people really opened me up to their homes. The reason I really don’t feel far from home is that I have found myself a new one here in Arusha, Tanzania, Thank you LOAMO, Arusha, and Tanzania for one of the most amazing experiences I will ever had.

                Que Escandalo,

                                                 Karsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Influence of Money

Surrounded